2005 football Shirt will be unveiled with Weis

It's only spring, but the beginning of a new football era is already in the air. The 2005 season is full of promise with new head coach Charlie Weis, and to start off the season for fans, it is almost time for the release of the new Shirt.

The process for selection began in November with the submission of between 15 and 20 shirt designs. The president of this year's The Shirt Project, Katie Fox, narrowed these entries down to a few finalists and asked them to resubmit modified designs.

"One of the things most people don't know about The Shirt is how intensive the design modification process is," Fox said. "We don't select a design. We select a designer."

Junior David Redenbaugh was chosen as this year's designer, and he and Fox have worked and reworked The Shirt before submitting the finished shirt design to the vendor.

While Fox was unable to release any details about this year's Shirt design, it will be unveiled at a ceremony at noon on April 22 at the Hammes Bookstore. Fox did say, though, that Coach Weis will be speaking at the ceremony to share some thoughts about the upcoming season.

"The Shirt Project is and always has been a firm supporter of Notre Dame football, and I personally am looking forward to an upcoming season of new leadership and new opportunity," Fox said.

Even though last year marked the 15th anniversary of The Shirt, Fox said she is hoping for an even bigger event this year. The unveiling ceremony will be the first opportunity for students, alumni and supporters to see and purchase next year's Shirt.

The ceremony will be followed by entertainment including a band, inflatables, giveaways and concessions available for sale. The Shirt will also go on sale at this time at a special price of $11 for students.

"We're hoping for another big year of sales to provide more support for the Notre Dame community," said Fox.

Proceeds from the sales go to student government as well as several scholarships and charities.