Baron kicks off term with humor, business

Malone, Mary Kate | Tuesday, April 5, 2005

If Monday night’s Council of Representatives meeting is any indication, student body president Dave Baron will lead Notre Dame with a sense of humor.Before calling the meeting to order, Baron said this year’s Council “is going to be hardcore,” placing extra emphasis on the last syllable.In the first Council meeting under the new administration of Baron, vice president Lizzi Shappell and chief executive assistant Liz Kozlow, representatives approved four new officeholders.Alyce Baumgartner was approved as student union secretary. “She is extremely dedicated,” Kozlow said. “All my work with her has been extraordinary.”The council approved Adam Duvall as policy branch controller, a position he also held for the 2004-05 school year under the Istvan administration.”All the work Adam has done has been impeccable,” Baron said. “He has done a great job preparing statistics whenever we need them.”Michael King was approved as Web site administrator for the second consecutive year. Kozlow said King’s experience would help him continue to improve the Web site.King said he hopes his work on the Web site will help draw more students to it.”We’re going to try to make the website more appealing so students know what is going on in student government,” King said.Finally, the Council approved Chad Bassett as Student Union Board director of operations. “Chad has incredible professional skills and strong business skills,” SUB manager Jimmy Flaherty said. “He has demonstrated tremendous time management skills.”After all nominations were approved, Baron told representatives about the direction he hopes COR will take in the coming year.”COR has the best perspective, since we gather all the campus leaders into one room,” Baron said. “COR is a think tank, a sounding board, a spitball for various topics.”Baron also promised to have at least one topic to discuss at every COR meeting.”We’ll talk about everything from campus beautification to the University’s Catholic character,” he said. “We’ll bring in student speakers to tell us what they are doing on campus.”