Campus copiers examined

A review facilitated through Business Operations is underway to examine the efficiency and services of on-campus copy centers, possibly resulting in a consolidation of five locations.Assistant Vice President for Procurement Services Tim Gibney said a committee of stakeholders including "business managers from various colleges [of Notre Dame], copy center managers and representatives from Business Operations" have drafted a Request For Proposal asking "suppliers to propose to us how they will operate if we consolidate."The Request For Proposal specifically asks for input on the consolidation of five of the copy centers - LaFortune, Hesburgh Library, Grace Hall, Athletics and OIT - into one production center.After the proposal process, the committee will then evaluate the responses and make a decision whether or not to consolidate.A possible location for this production center has not been named and Gibney guesses the committee will not reach a decision until late May.Tim Wright, manager of ND Print Services in OIT and owner of Copy Wright, Inc., which owns and operates the Copy Shop in LaFortune, is already preparing for a definite closing of ND Print Services.Whatever the committee decides, "ND Print Services [in OIT] will be closed and [we] will transition ND Print Services to the Copy Shop [in LaFortune]." Wright said.Wright said this transition has been underway since he became manager in 2002. He said he was hired knowing "eventually ND Print Services would go away."OIT Director of Resource Management Craig Fitch said any change is "still going through the proposal process" and he is not "at liberty to say" whether or not ND Print Services' location in OIT will be shut down."The services will not go away, just where and how they are provided could change," Fitch said.Though there are eight other copy centers on campus, the OIT location has been responsible for printing flipbooks for art students' final projects. Wright, who speculates the OIT location will be closed by mid-April, said the equipment used for this printing might be returned to Xerox before the end of the semester. A five-year lease with Xerox expired this year.Wright said he has contacted other vendors with the hope of obtaining equipment needed for the flipbook printing. He said the Lafortune Copy Shop could provide the printing for this semester's projects with new equipment.