Doom 3' makes use of great sound, and realistic graphics

Science will be the downfall of mankind. At least, that is what video games tell us. From the evil Dr. Wily to the late Dr. Betrugger, scientists are usually the villains behind most video game plots of world domination. "Doom 3" is no different. The player enters the game as a faceless Marine grunt assuming his new position on Mars. The first task that he must complete upon landing on Mars is to report to the Union Areospace Corporation base and the division of Marines stationed there. After doing so, and meeting random suspicious people while completing trivial tasks, the player is sent to recover a missing scientist in an older part of the base. Upon finding the scientist, the player soon discovers his post on Mars may be a little less boring than originally anticipated. The corporation had been conducting experiments in teleportation and through their efforts had managed to open a hole into what could only be described as hell. Once the player finds the missing scientist, the teleporters go haywire, and horrors begin to pour through."Doom 3" is one wild ride. Creatures attack from the walls, ceilings, basically any angle that the player would not expect. Growls and hisses are heard emanating from the vents and from behind closed doors. The pacing of the game is nearly flawless, with bigger and more disturbing creatures attacking as the game progresses. The monsters range from the paranormal to twisted creations of flesh and machine. The cherub-like creatures that attack the player are particularly creepy. Instead of feathered wings, they have insect wings. Since they have no legs, they crawl along the floor and leap at the player when they get within range. The noise they make is one the player learns to dread.The sound in "Doom 3" is used to very good effect. Each creature makes a unique noise that is often the only warning the player receives. Since portions of the game are played with little to no visibility, sound is often the player's greatest asset.The Union Aerospace facility is one of the best-looking, most impressive video game environments to date. Many video games fail to depict a realistic environment, but "Doom 3" excels. The game really feels as though it is what it pretends to be. The facility was a cheap, under-staffed and poorly-maintained place before the teleporters went haywire, and afterward even more of the lights malfunction, as well as the random machinery throughout the complex.The illumination within the game is some of the best to be seen in any game, on any console. The shadows and illuminating factors are all cast in real-time. Shadows cover the creatures, and move over them as the creatures move. The shading moves and contorts as lights in the environment also move. Some of the best parts of the game are when the developers make use of darkness. When the player has to escort a man through a pitch-black segment of the base with his lamp as the only illumination, movements within the shadows, or hostile noises can cause any player to jump.The only downfall "Doom 3" experiences is the lack of a splitscreen mode. All multiplayer segments are playable only over Live or a system link. Beyond those minor shortcomings, "Doom 3" is a must for any first-person shooter fan.