FOOTBALL RECRUITING: Weis secures 1st class of 2010 recruit

Over 21 weeks remain until Notre Dame's season-opener, but Charlie Weis has already secured his first victory as head coach.

Munir Prince, a running back/cornerback prospect out of DeSmet Jesuit High School in St. Louis, verbally committed to play football for the Irish during a Junior Day on campus Saturday. He is the first player from the class of 2010 to commit to Notre Dame.

Mike Frank of Irisheyes.com expects Prince to suit up at running back for Notre Dame.

"He's a tremendous player," Frank said. "He's got lots and lots of ability, and I think he's got all kinds of potential when it's all said and done."

With a 4.3 second 40-yard dash time, Prince rushed for 1,397 yards and 13 touchdowns his sophomore year. He then ran for 986 yards and 11 touchdowns last season as a junior while playing in only eight games and with a sprained foot.

The 5-foot-10 164-pound Prince, who has clocked a 10.6 second 100-meter dash, had been committed to Iowa but reneged two months ago.

"I think [Notre Dame] kind of surprised him when they offered," Frank said. "When he came up for the first Junior Day [on Feb. 26-27], he didn't expect to be offered. But his whole family came up last weekend. He met with the dean of sciences and he wants to major in sports medicine. I think he's going to do really well."

Prince cannot sign a binding national letter of intent until next February. Other schools recruiting him include Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio State and Michigan State.

Though Prince spurned the Hawkeyes, however, Frank does not see him going back on his word with the Irish.

"I think he's pretty sold on Notre Dame and Charlie Weis," Frank said. "He made a commitment a long time ago to Iowa, and I think he thought maybe he should look a little harder at what he wanted to do."

Prince's high school teammate, tight end/defensive end Paddy Mullen, also attended last weekend's Junior Day. Notre Dame is recruiting Mullen but has not yet offered a scholarship.