Golfers delight in ND greens

As spring rears its reluctant head, more students are venturing out on weekends to sharpen their golf games at the two golf courses on campus - the Notre Dame Golf Course and Warren Golf Course (WGC).The Notre Dame Golf Course is a nine-hole course located on the southwest corner of campus while the eighteen-hole Warren Golf Course is farther off of campus. It is a less challenging course that has no water and, because of its close location, it is easily accessible to students.John Foster, General Manager and Head Golf Pro, described Warren as "dedicated to classic golf course architectural motifs: small, rolling greens, many greenside bunkers and long fairways." A practice range, chipping and putting green are available to University students. The golf course also offers student clinics and private lessons. "We will ... tailor clinics to specific groups as needed," Foster said.WGC hosts several outings and tournaments for student groups and campus organizations, whether residence halls, clubs or graduate student groups, Foster said.Depending on the time of year, the Warren golf and Notre Dame Courses' prices differ. Student green fees at WGC vary. During the fall and spring, 18 holes cost $15; during the summer, 18 holes cost $17 on Monday-Thursday and $22 on Friday-Sunday. Fall and spring golfing passes cost $200. Practicing on the range costs students $5 for a small bucket or $8 for a large bucket. Students feel that the prices charged and difficulties of both courses are reasonable. "The prices for the nine-hole course are pretty fair," sophomore Katie Murphy said. "It's not a great course but I think it's in a better condition than most public courses But the public course is not challenging at all. "Sophomore Patrick Cain paid $5 for his last round."It's not the nicest [course] but very reasonable for $5. And there is a good view of the Dome, no water, and it's pretty easy. I like that," Cain said. "The Warren course is a little more expensive, but worth it" Foster said he hopes that golf will remain important to Notre Dame students. "As many of our students progress into the business world, they will find that golf is an excellent way to network both internally and externally," he said. "Golf is truly a game that can be played for the rest of one's life."