-

-

MEN’S TRACK: Irish compete at Purdue

John Everett | Monday, April 4, 2005

The Irish traveled to West Lafayette, Indiana this past weekend to compete in the Mike Pohlein Invitational on the campus of Purdue University. The Fighting Irish won five events on Saturday, four of them individual events and one was a relay victory. Selim Nurudeen far outpaced the field in the 110-meter high hurdles. Nurudeen ran the race in 13.96 seconds, not his fastest time this year – his fastest time was 13.92 seconds last week at the Dr. Pepper Invitational – but consistently, which encourages optimism for the rest of the season. Irish hurdler Geoffrey Bennett also qualified for the Big East in the 110-meter hurdles. Adam Currie led a strong Irish effort in the 800-meters. Currie won the event in 1 minute, 54.22 seconds, a mark which is just .58 seconds shy of the Big East qualifying standard. This was Currie’s first performance of the 2005 outdoor season. Following Currie in the 800 for Notre Dame were Eric Morrison in third at 1:54.84 and Brett Adams in fifth at 1:58.15. Two of Notre Dame’s victories came in the field, with David Viken claiming the pole vault title and Derek Goguen outdistancing his competitors in the javelin. Viken’s vault of 4.75 meters and Goguen’s throw of 55.06 meters were both good enough to qualify for the Big East Championships. Notre Dame field athletes also achieved several Big East qualifying marks in the hammer throw, as Chip Roberts, Kyle Annen, Garrett Koxlein and Kevin Moffett all qualified. Many field competitors at the meet were adversely affected by the strong 30 mile-per-hour winds at the site of the event. However, Viken was very pleased with how the Irish responded to the challenge. “The wind was really a problem for a lot of the people who competed; they even had a hard time keeping the crossbar up for the pole vault,” Viken said. “I was really pumped because 15’7” is a [personal record] on the season for me. I think all of the field athletes did as well as they could under the conditions. “The Irish relay victory came in the 4-by-100 meter relay. Nurudeen, Zach Labrecque, Christopher Jacques and Tommie Lee combined to run the relay in 42.79 seconds. Jacques and Lee also qualified for the Big East in the 100 meters.The Irish have no meet this coming weekend. Their next meets will be April 15-17 when the team will send athletes to both the Mt. San Antonio College Relays in Walnut, Calif., and the Indy Relays in Indianapolis.