-

-

ND WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: Current and future Irish shine

Joe Hettler | Monday, April 4, 2005

Notre Dame’s departing star and its incoming one both performed well in the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association Night of All-Stars Saturday at Indianapolis.Senior Jacqueline Batteast, who finished her career as Notre Dame’s fourth all-time leading scorer, had 11 points, five rebounds and three steals in 29 minutes of the All-Star Challenge. The game featured 20 of college basketball’s best senior players.Lindsay Schrader, who will arrive at Notre Dame in the fall, tallied 10 points in 22 minutes of the High School All-America Game. She drained a key 3-pointer in the second half before her Red team eventually lost to the White team 92-88.Schrader was recently named Miss Basketball in Illinois and is the fourth incoming Notre Dame freshman to play in the WBCA game. Alicia Ratay, Katy Flecky and current Irish junior Courtney LaVere also participated in the exhibition. The Bartlett, Ill. product played in the 2005 McDonald’s All-American game March 30 at the Joyce Center. She averaged 21 points, 10 rebounds and three steals during her high school career and was a three-time all-state selection.Schrader will be one of the players trying to help replace the graduating Batteast. The South Bend native was recently named one of 10 members of the Kodak All-American squad. She became just the second Irish player to ever earn such an honor. Ruth Riley was named to the team in 2001.The Big East coaches tabbed Batteast as the conference’s player of the year this season after the senior posted 16.9 points and 6.6 rebounds per game. She is a four-time all-Big East choice and also ranks in the top five in 16 statistical categories.