-

-

ND WOMEN’S TENNIS: Thompson twins, team welcome 49ers to Eck

Dan Tapetillo | Friday, April 1, 2005

The No. 28 Irish (8-8) will compete against No. 67 Long Beach State (5-5) tomorrow in a match that will leave the victor with an overall winning record.Although Notre Dame has the advantage of being ranked in the top 30 as a team as well as on its home court, it is still anticipating a tough match at 10 a.m. at the Eck Tennis Pavilion.”After losing to Wisconsin, we’re not taking any match lightly,” sophomore Christian Thompson said. “We’re definitely looking at this upcoming match as a way of redeeming ourselves.” Notre Dame is looking to bounce back from a 4-3 loss to Wisconsin this week, its fifth 4-3 loss this season.”We have had several close matches this season to tough teams, so we know we can compete with the best,” sophomore Catrina Thompson said. “It is just a matter of finishing them.”The team will be looking to get off to a strong start by securing the doubles point. Playing at No. 1 for the Irish will be the No. 2 doubles team of Christian and Catrina Thompson. The No. 2 team will be junior Lauren Connelly and freshman Brook Buck, followed by the No. 3 team of junior Kiki Stastny and senior captain Sarah Jane Connelly.In singles, it is questionable whether Christian Thompson will be making a return to the lineup after suffering a knee injury during the BYU match in March.”I’m just taking it day by day right now,” Thompson said. “But I’ve been playing more and feeling more comfortable on the court so hopefully it won’t be too much longer.”With the loss of Thompson, the lineup will most likely remain with No. 44 Catrina Thompson playing at No. 1, followed by No. 100 Buck at No. 2. Playing at No. 3 will be Lauren Connelly with Stastny, Sarah Jane Connelly and Liz Donohue at Nos. 4, 5 and 6.”It has been great having Christian back in doubles because we know how the other one plays,” Catrina Thompson said. “It has also gotten me to appreciate her presence more. But hopefully we can get her back in singles.”