Monday, March 18, 2024

Outgoing members bid farewell

At their last meeting Monday before turnover, members of the current Saint Mary's Board of Governance thanked each other and said their goodbyes while incoming members observed the proceedings."I've had a wonderful year, I've learned so much from all of you and I've been inspired by all of you," outgoing student body president Sarah Catherine White said.Other outgoing BOG members also thanked the board for their dedication to the group throughout the year."I would like to sincerely thank everyone on BOG because I enjoyed working with you so much," outgoing student body vice president Mary Pauline Moran said. "I will take so many memories from this year with me."White hoped that incoming board members could use this opportunity as a shadow experience and invited the new elects to observe BOG procedure and to ask questions.BOG approved a co-sponsorship with the Notre Dame Student Union Board, the Notre Dame Class of 2007 and the Saint Mary's Class of 2007 for the Battle of the Bands on April 22. Sophomores Claudia Toth and Kathleen Kindt presented the co-sponsorship to BOG and emphasized that the event, which will be held at Legends and will feature 10 groups and musicians, will be a tri-campus one and that they hope to gain more participation from all three campuses.During discussion of the event, Student Activities Board president Laur-en Fabina said she had attended and enjoyed last year's Battle of the Bands. Toth and Kindt said Saint Mary's has been involved in the planning of Battle of the Bands and that the event will be advertised on the Saint Mary's campus.Several BOG members felt it was good that Saint Mary's was participating in planning and advertising the event, and this fact was taken into consideration when deciding how much money the co-sponsorship would be approved for.In other BOG news:Student Diversity Board will sponsor a frost your own cookies event on Wednesday at 10 p.m. in McCandless Hall.A Memorial mass for Pope John Paul II will be held Wednesday at 4 p.m. in the Church of Loretto.The SMC Tostal and Spring Fiesta will be held on April 21.