Residence Life, students prepare for fall room selections

Justin Tardiff | Wednesday, April 13, 2005

As Notre Dame students choose their rooms for the fall of 2005 this week, they will face a room selection system that has recently sustained changes.One major difference deals with dorm transfers. In the past, students were only permitted to switch dorms before the fall semester if a resident of that particular dorm requested the individual be moved into their room. Now, in order to make the process more consistent and to give students a stronger voice in their living situation, the Office of Residence Life and Housing will allow students to transfer dorms any semester on their own accord. Director of Residence Life and Housing Jeffrey Shoup said many students were unaware that they could transfer dorms between semesters without another student specifically requesting it. “It gave people more flexibility to make their own decisions,” Shoup said.This year, there have been 128 hall transfer requests, Shoup said. He predicts that all of the students will be placed in their desired dorms. Residence Life and Housing will have to regulate the number of students moving into any one hall, because the University will not allow an exceeding percentage of upperclassmen in any particular dorm, Shoup said.He added he does not think students seek a favorite dorm. “Some students want the experience of a living in an older dorm,” Shoup said. “Others want the newer amenities.”Another change to the room selection process was a new online acceptance and denial system for on-campus housing. Shoup said he has found the new online housing contract to be more efficient. In the past. many students waited until the last minute to turn in their contracts. A number of students returned the online contract the same day they received it, Shoup said.”It gave us a clear indication early on about housing for next year,” Shoup said. “With the new online system, Residencde Life and Housing can better predict dorm occupation level and recognize current trends.”Shoup said there have been limited complaints with the modifications to room selections. However, one problem the Office of Residence Life and Housing faces yearly during this time is dealing with students who miss deadlines, he said. The office also witnesses difficulties when students’ plans to live with someone fall through.