-

-

SMC SOFTBALL: Team looking to secure much-needed win over Adrian

Tom Stiles | Friday, April 8, 2005

Saint Mary’s (5-12) will look to notch its first conference win this Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m. when they visit MIAA foe Adrian College (6-13). After having dropped their last nine games, the Belles find themselves in desperate need of a win if they want to salvage the season.

Adrian comes in looking for its second conference win and, much like the Belles, is in need of a confidence-building victory. Adrian has dropped three of its last four games, most recently splitting a double-header with Tri-State University, who swept the Belles Monday. They enter action this weekend at seventh place in the MIAA, two spots ahead of last place Saint Mary’s.

Saint Mary’s will look to capitalize on the recent play of Adrian College, which has been sub-par. Adrian is currently dead last in team batting average and second to last in team ERA. Saint Mary’s is sixth in each category, which should correlate to a better record, but the Belles’ shoddy fielding in recent games – fielding percentage of only .869 – has wasted solid pitching performances.

The Saint Mary’s offense has gradually begun to show improvement over the last few weeks. In fact, the Belles rank in the top five in hits, runs scored, and total bases. The pitching has also shown signs of coming around, but errors have proven to be the Belles undoing as they lead the conference with nineteen miscues.

The games Wednesday against Albion College proved no different from the tone of the season, as the Belles committed twelve errors in both games combined, which resulted in 14 unearned runs between the two match-ups. The Belles’ bats came alive in both games, scoring six runs in game one and five runs in game two.

Game one saw junior pitcher Bridget Grall fall to 3-6 on the season, despite surrendering only two runs in a game that needed extra frames to be decided. In game two, freshman pitcher McKenna Corrigan was roughed up for six earned runs on ten hits as she fell to 2-6 on the year.

Up next for Saint Mary’s following Saturday’s double-dip with Adrian College will be an April 12 match-up on the road against a talented Calvin College squad (12-4).