SMC TENNIS: Saint Mary’s shut out by host Kalamazoo

Patrick McCabe | Thursday, April 14, 2005

The Belles fell to Kalamazoo College 9-0 Wednesday, but the lopsided score misleads.”The score didn’t reflect the closeness of the matches,” Saint Mary’s co-captain Miranda Mikulyuk noted. “We lost two singles matches in three sets and another two 5-7, 4-6.” Fellow captain Kristen Palombo was disappointed with the results of the match.”You never want to lose by that score,” Palombo said. “We should have pulled a couple of matches out for sure. It just wasn’t one of our days.”We can’t focus on this loss, because we will play two tough matches, one at home against Albion on Sunday and another on Tuesday against Calvin. We have to quickly place this loss beside us and move on.”The captains attributed the loss to various factors. “We’re still young and inexperienced,” Mikulyuk said. “We didn’t play poorly, just not good enough. “Also, the injuries have affected the team. Usually teams expect and absorb the departures of one or two seniors but three graduated last year. Additionally, one player is studying abroad and injury has sidelined [Grace Gordon]. We have five new players among our top seven. It’s tough to recover. We arrived only fifteen minutes before play began, so we had little warm-up time which led to a poor start in doubles.”Both captains agreed that blustering winds affected the matches. “The weather and high winds made it tough and threw off our game a bit,” Mikulyuk said. The tandem disagreed about the effectiveness of Kalamazoo’s practice of rearranging its lineup for each opponent. Despite dropping to 1-2 in conference play, the Belles will draw strength from their history of unflappability. “The team finished tied for second last year but elevated its play to win the conference tournament,” Mikulyuk said.