Hurley is fired by Notre Dame

The University fired Assistant Director of Notre Dame Security/Police Chuck Hurley on April 22 because of allegations that Hurley was untruthful during NDSP's investigation into the circumstances of a Feb. 3 incident involving former trustee and football captain Dave Duerson at the Morris Inn, Hurley said.

Hurley, who contests the University's allegations, said Notre Dame incorrectly evaluated his actions "be-cause there was [a different] officer [involved with the Duerson incident] who was untruthful."

However, Hurley refused to discuss any specifics about the incident, calling it "a police matter, a criminal case."

According to the prosecutor's supplemental affidavit on the case, Duerson allegedly struck his wife, Alicia Duerson, and pushed her out of their hotel room during the early morning of Feb. 3. She was treated at a local hospital and released, the statement said.

Associate Vice President for Residence Life and Student Affairs Bill Kirk, who informed Hurley of his termination, declined to comment. NDSP Director Rex Rakow and University spokesman Matt Storin also declined to comment because Hurley's dismissal is a "personnel matter."

Hurley said he has been involved in an appeals process and has hired his own lawyer and has met with University lawyers.

"I want a thorough and competent investigation," Hurley said.

He also said he wants to re-obtain his position at Notre Dame.

"That's my ultimate goal," Hurley said.

Dave Duerson, a two-time football All-American at Notre Dame and former president of the Monogram Club, was charged with two counts of battery and two counts of domestic battery following the incident. He and his wife were on campus for the winter Board of Trustees meeting.

Dave Duerson resigned from the Board of Trustees Feb. 4, and Storin told The Observer in March that Dave Duerson's representatives expected him to resign from his Monogram Club position as well, which was set to expire in June.

Although originally scheduled to appear in St. Joseph County Superior Court Feb. 28, Dave Duerson's lawyer had the appearance deferred until April 28.

Hurley expressed frustration with his situation but said he had no hard feelings toward the University.

"There is no way I can be bitter about Notre Dame - it's done so much for me and my family," Hurley said. "There are certain individuals I am upset with because of what has occurred here. But I could never utter one negative word about the University of Notre Dame."

Hurley, who sent three of his five children to Notre Dame, was also involved at the University as Fisher's interhall football coach at one time.

"The students are outstanding people, the faculty and staff ... the Holy Cross priests are some of the best people you will ever meet," Hurley said.

Hurley said he was recruited by Notre Dame in 1988 and served as assistant director of NDSP for almost 17 years. Prior to working for Notre Dame, Hurley said he served in every rank of the South Bend Police Department for 20 years, the last four as chief of police.