-

-

Construction alters the face of ND

Kate Antonacci | Monday, August 29, 2005

The brighter-than-ever Dome and the top-notch “Gug” may be getting all the attention, but several other construction projects underway on campus will soon make their presence felt in student life.

From the majestic new entrance to the rerouted Edison Road to the renovated Health Services building, changes are underway at Notre Dame, and construction crews worked busily over summer months to prepare the campus for the 2005-06 school year.

Their efforts are seen most visibly through work on the campus road project, as Edison Road and Route 23 were widened, and a large portion of Edison was demolished and realigned so a four-lane north-south road could be created where Edison met Ivy Road.

“The campus road project went spectacularly,” said Executive Vice President John Affleck-Graves. “It is five months ahead of schedule.”

Although the project involved the demolition of soccer fields on Edison previously used for parking on football weekends, the fields will be relocated for the fall football season, according to the University Architect’s office.

“Phase One is substantially complete, and that was the re-routing of Edison Road,” said James Lyphout, Vice President for Business Operations. Landscaping and lights still need to be added, he said.

Phase Two of the campus road project – which will take the Ivy Road replacement all the way to Douglas Road west of the Notre Dame Federal Credit Union – will begin in the next two weeks, Lyphout said. The University hopes for the project to be completed by August 2006.

The campus road project also includes the construction of a newly expanded and reconfigured campus entrance on Notre Dame Avenue, which was started in early June and is now open and usable.

“The [entrance] construction work should be completed in about two weeks,” Lyphout said.

The entrance was financed with University funds for the campus road project.

Renovations also began this summer on the 47,591 square foot Health Services building on Holy Cross Drive next to Stanford Hall. Work will include demolition of interior walls, new windows and roof repairs, among other things, Lyhpout said.

Work will “probably not be completed in time for the fall semester of 2006,” Lyphout said, adding that the center should open following Christmas break of 2006.

The renovation of the building will cost approximately $9.5 million, funded by private gifts, Lyphout said.

Health Services is temporarily being housed in the old campus security building near the D-6 parking lot, while the counseling center is temporarily located in the old post office.

The Golden Dome is also shining brightly, thanks to $1.5 million worth of work this summer. The remaining painting and construction should be finished by Sept. 9. It will take a week to repair landscaping, Lyphout said.

“The dry summer was great for the construction projects,” Lyphout said. “We were able to stay on schedule and on budget. We haven’t had any surprise costs.”

Work continued over the summer on the Jordan Hall of Science, which will contain lab space for undergraduates as well as an observatory, a greenhouse and an herbarium. The project should be finished by summer 2006.

The Guglielmino Family Athletics Center is now open and occupied, though minor details are still being completed.

The Morris Inn also underwent a remodeling this summer, Lyphout said.

“We put a new roof and new windows and we remodeled all the rooms. It was completed in the last couple of weeks,” he said.

Work also continued on Dillon Hall, which began its makeover on March 3.

“We did some remodeling there this summer,” Lyphout said. “We replaced all the showers, bathrooms and windows.”

Alumni Hall underwent similar updates during the summer of 2004, and Lyphout said there is a rotating system to determine which dorm will receive updates.

“We have a rotation that we take care of those kinds of issues,” he said. “Each summer we’ll take one or two [dorms] and make some substantial improvements.”