-

-

Student reports attempted burglary in dorm

Lisa Schultz | Wednesday, August 24, 2005

An Alumni Hall resident reported an attempted burglary last week, Assistant Director of the Notre Dame Security/Police Phillip Johnson said. A man entered the men’s dormitory and at approximately 9:40 a.m. Aug. 16 conversed briefly with the student, who, while walking to a neighboring room, became worried that he did not lock his door, Johnson said. When he returned to his own room, the student discovered the man taking DVDs and putting them into a bag. Once the man was confronted, he fled without taking anything from the room. NDSP searched the area but did not find the suspect, Johnson said. Though the suspect was not found, Johnson said a crime was still prevented because the student followed his instincts, a response Johnson said is necessary to maintain a safe campus environment.This type of crime – an unforced attempted burglary – is the most common on campus, Johnson said. Despite their frequency, such incidents are easily preventable, he said.”We could virtually eliminate crime on campus if people [would] lock their doors,” Johnson said. “NDSP can’t be in every dorm all the time.”Johnson also recommended that students program NDSP’s phone number into their cellular phones as a speed dial number to report suspicious activity on or around campus.Such an incident highlights the importance of people being responsible for others’ safety when in a residence hall community, Johnson said. He also added that propping open doors and not locking dorm room doors are dangerous to campus security. “You do [lock your doors] everywhere else in the world, why not here?” Johnson said. “If people say ND is a safe campus, it is because people look out for each other.”