Arrest is second in three days

Maddie Hanna | Friday, September 30, 2005

St. Joseph County police made an arrest on Notre Dame’s campus Thursday night, the second one made in three days on campus, St. Joseph County spokesperson Jamiee Thirion said.

Thirion said the arrest was made at the intersection of Juniper Road and Bulla Road for an “incident” involving “a particular individual” and a St. Joseph County police officer.

“The officer noticed this particular car almost hit him [in South Bend] at Mayflower [Road], just north of the bypass,” Thirion said.

A large, unknown number of law enforcement vehicles were seen driving with flashing lights North on Juniper Road between 9:30 and 10:30 p.m.

Thirion said the officer followed the car to Notre Dame’s campus, where he pulled the car over at the intersection, which is just east of Knott Hall.

Notre Dame Security/Police (NDSP) and South Bend Police were also present at the arrest site, Thirion said.

On Tuesday, NDSP arrested a South Bend man wanted on a warrant on South Quad after he stole a backpack from North Dining Hall, associate director of NDSP Philip Johnson said.

Thirion said she could not provide further details late Thursday about the type of incident or the reason for the arrest, since the police report had not been completed. Thirion said the full report would be available sometime today.