Monday, May 13, 2024

Arrest made on campus

A South Bend man wanted on a warrant was arrested Tuesday on South Quad after he stole a backpack from North Dining Hall, Associate Director of Notre Dame Security/Police (NDSP) Philip Johnson said.

"A student from Stanford Hall called us and reported a suspicious person in the hall," Johnson said. "He knew that there had been thefts in Stanford. The person left the hall on a bicycle with a backpack. An officer stopped him on campus and identified him as being wanted with a warrant."

A warrant for the man, 34, had been issued by the department of corrections for a parole violation, Johnson said. The man was arrested at 11 a.m. for both larceny and for being wanted on a warrant, Johnson said.

"I would think with a warrant [NDSP] would turn him over to the department of corrections," Johnson said.

The man was lodged in the Saint Joseph County Jail following his arrest on campus, Johnson said.

"Our investigation will continue in this case and anyone who has information about this can certainly contact us," Johnson said.

Johnson said that it is important that students are cautious about who they let into dormitories and about leaving their belongings unattended.

"We really are grateful that this student who saw this person and called us with a very good description," Johnson said. " That led to the apprehension of a person who was stealing from campus."

Two burglaries were reported in Stanford on the NDSP blotter Tuesday, though they were unrelated to the arrest. Johnson said the man stole nothing from the hall, but that NDSP was grateful for the student's alertness.