Arrests made at tailgates, ejections at game

Notre Dame Security and Police (NDSP) arrested four people and cited 46 both before and during Saturday's football game against Michigan State.

Assistant Director of NDSP Phil Johnson said three custodial arrests were made for public intoxication and disorderly conduct at or near Notre Dame Stadium. The fourth custodial arrest was made for disorderly conduct at Legends.

The citations were given to 43 adults and three juveniles for minor in consumption, minor in possession, minor in a tavern and false identification, Johnson said. The minor in a tavern citation was issued at Legends. Johnson did not know Monday if any of the citations or arrests involved Notre Dame or Saint Mary's students.

Johnson said the citations were issued "mostly in the parking lots."

The four people arrested were taken to St. Joseph County Jail, Johnson said.

Johnson could not say how many total NDSP officers were present, but he said NDSP used a mix of plain-clothes and uniformed officers.

"Most officers were readily identified," said Johnson, who noted that any officers not in uniform quickly showed a badge when "interacting" with people in the parking lots.

Johnson said officers used preliminary breath tests (PBTs) "to help decide if [people] need to be in custody for their safety."

No probable cause is needed to administer a PBT, Johnson said.

He said the likely reasons that police used PBTs on Saturday were "consumption" and "smell." Behavior and blood alcohol level (BAC) were the factors used to determine whether to issue a citation or make an arrest.

"It's the officer's discretion" whether to issue a citation or an arrest, Johnson said.

Johnson said NDSP was aided on Saturday by the County Sheriff, Indiana Excise Police and South Bend Police.