Body focuses on variety of issues

The Saint Mary's Board of Governance (BOG) meeting Monday included discussion on many upcoming events, including responses to Hurricane Katrina's devastation.

BOG members proposed different ways to help Katrina's victims, saying they want to send aid to the damaged area's diocese and surrounding Catholic schools that are not receiving much funding.

Student Diversity Board president Amanda Shropshire said plans for both a student bonfire and a food drive for hurricane victims are underway.

Student Activities Board president Megan Cahill said the "Twilight Tailgate" event, which includes a wide variety of activities, will begin at 11 a.m. today. Dinner will be served from 5 to 7 p.m. A band will also be on campus as a part of the activities.

"It's going to be a whole day of fun," Cahill said. "The band is good, and it's going to be really nice."

Campaigning for the offices of freshman class president and vice president will begin at noon today, elections commissioner Danielle Lerner said.

"We currently have five tickets running for first year president and vice president, which is very exciting," Lerner said.

A "Meet the Candidates" program will be held at 5:30 p.m. Thursday in conference room F in the Student Lounge.

Senior class president Lauren Condon and junior class president Heidi Goeppinger discussed their plans for the 2005-06 academic year.

"We're working on service," Goeppinger said. "Getting invol-ved with helping the community is really important."

Condon described the "Year-Wide Service and Charity Campaign" as a plan that will bring together the junior and senior classes in hosting major service events every month, including a food drive and a major Christmas drive.

In other BOG news:

u A Hospitality Hour sponsored by Campus Ministry will take place from 4 to 5 p.m. Thursday in the Student Center. Students are encouraged to stop by, since it is also the anniversary of the founding of the Sisters of the Holy Cross.

uCommunication and Performance Studies week is underway. Different events are scheduled throughout the week.