Don't work too hard

Ever get the feeling you are forgetting something you just can't quite put your finger on? Or have days where no matter how many notes you leave yourself, or times you check your schedule, the feeling doesn't go away?

Since returning to college life, my weeks inevitably contain days like that. Sometimes it's lack of sleep, and others I really am forgetting something I shouldn't, but on most occasions it's simply due to the college lifestyle. With so many clubs, intramural sports, dorm activities, organizations, student jobs and possible charity events, not to mention schoolwork on top of it all, it's a wonder I remember as much as I do.

Not that I think all these activities are bad, just the opposite. While here, we should make the most out of the opportunities this University offers us, because in real life there's nothing like it. The trick is simply balance. Like we hear in breakfast cereal commercials and health class, a well balanced diet is important for your health. But more than just that, balancing activities can be good for your mental health, and I don't mean simply organizing your schedule to fit all of your clubs, meetings, and such for the day. Remember to be random sometimes - just go with the flow and see where it leads. If most of your schoolwork is technical like science or math, be creative; draw a picture (preferably not while the professor's watching), or make up a word and see if you can get someone to believe it's real.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes or be embarrassed-often mistakes make the funniest memories and situations you think could be embarrassing will turn out to be fine. I still remember an amazing trip I took with my family down to Costa Rica when I was in high school. One of the first days as we were eating lunch outside, a small squirrel-monkey snatched my wallet from the table - I had to follow it from tree to tree until (a thankfully short number of trees later) the furry bugger finally realized it wasn't edible. My brothers were falling over laughing as I walked back, and I remembered to return my wallet to its pocket from then on.

So remember, as much as hard work can help, you don't have to work all the time; we're not machines. And hey, not even they work all the time (...stupid computer). Take an adventure - unfortunately adventures cannot really be planned. It's only when events stray from what you intended that the adventure begins.