DPAC starts student group

Harris, N. | Thursday, September 15, 2005

Students with a passion for the arts are forming a new undergraduate student group at the Marie P. DeBartolo Center for the Performing Arts.

Students Promoting the Performing Arts will spread the word about DPAC events by posting flyers, relating DPAC news at weekly hall council meetings and distributing information about events to members of their dorm, the group’s Web site said. The state of campus arts culture will be discussed, as well as concerns and ideas from the student body.

DPAC Marketing Assistant Dana Kernich said she is specifically interested in how to promote student awareness of and interest in the arts.

“The idea to form a group dedicated to promoting the arts among students was developed both to generate awareness about our events and to give students another opportunity to engage the world through the arts,” Kernich said.

A representative from each dorm will be selected to help publicize events among the student body and attend periodic status meeting, according to the Web site. The group is currently seeking Arts enthusiasts and students interested in developing marketing and promotional experience.

In exchange for their participation, they will receive two free pairs of Browning Cinema passes every month, an additional $5 discount off the student ticket price for DPAC Presents events, and the ability to play a role in enhancing the student experience at Notre Dame, the Web site said.

Several students interviewed said the wish they knew more about the DPAC events, such as the Grammy-winning Bruce Hornsby this Friday night. The DPAC student group is another way for the student body to get informed and excited about the phenomenal cultural events taking place right here on campus.

“In my opinion, I think it’s exactly what DPAC needs,” said Megan O’Hara, an usher. “DPAC brings in so many great performers and I don’t think the student body takes advantage of that. If as an employee I don’t know what’s going on [at the PAC], then there is no way the majority of the student body does.”

When asked what events roused the most student attendance, Kernich said, “Students seem to be particularly interested in Irish music and in world music as a whole.”

The DPAC staff is anticipating a great turnout for Tommy Makem on Sept. 30, and also for the Vienna Boys’ Choir concert later this semester. The Chieftains, who performed at Notre Dame for a sold-out crowd last year, will be returning in the spring.

“The idea of the student group is rooted in the belief that a Notre Dame education should inspire a lifelong love of music, theatre, dance, visual arts and film,” said Kernich, “and instill the habit of patronizing the arts regularly.”