Group celebrates SMC events

The Saint Mary's Board of Governance (BOG) meeting began Monday with much excitement due to several recent campus event successes - one of the biggest being last Wednesday's Student Activities Fair held in the Student Center.

"Everyone who was there did a great job," student body president Kellye Mitros. "I got nothing but positive feedback."

Seconding Mitros' congratulations, Student Activities Board (SAB) president Megan Cahill noted the fair's high turnout.

But SAB is moving on to the larger issue of Hurricane Katrina, Cahill said, and working on a list of tentative events to benefit hurricane victims. Details will be confirmed and released in the near future.

Student athletics commissioner Bridget Grall introduced an upcoming event organized by Saint Mary's and Notre Dame - the Relay for Life.

"It's a big deal and should be really fun," Grall said.

The walk, which benefits cancer patients and survivors, will take place on Oct. 7 and 8 from 6 p.m. to 10 a.m. The Relay coordinators will be selling $5 luminary bags that can be decorated and will line the track.

Event organizers are also looking for cancer survivors from the campus community to lead the first lap. Students are encouraged to form teams of any size.

The main goal is "just to get bodies over there [to the Relay]," Grall said. "We're not too worried about fundraisers."

In other BOG news:

u Senior class president Lauren Condon said the Senior Dad's weekend will take place Oct. 30 through Nov. 2. Tickets are currently on sale.

u A BOG-sponsored Chi-cago bus trip will take place Saturday. The bus will leave LeMans circle by 8 a.m., leaving Chicago at 7 p.m to return to campus. Tickets will be available in the Student Center today.

u Sophomore class president Colleen Ferreira said the 2005 "Incredibelles" T-shirt fundraiser was a great success.

"It did very well - we almost sold out," said Ferreira, who mentioned that remaining shirts can be purchased in the bookstore.