INTERHALL FOOTBALL: Intrigue and intensity sure to mark first games

Reigning interhall football champions Keenan will open up their new season against Keough on Sunday, their first game since an exciting one-point victory over Knott in last fall's championship.

Needless to say, the Knights have high expectations for the coming season.

"[We're looking] very good," Keenan captain Vince Lyzinski said.

"We're looking forward to a good game, and we're excited to be back on the field again." The team has a good balance of leadership and young blood, with six or seven seniors returning, as well as lots of new freshman who will be playing their first game wearing navy and white.

This year's squad looks to have a similar strategy to last year's, with a balanced offense incorporating both the pass and run, and hard-nosed defense looking to make big plays. The team is hoping that these familiar schemes will bring familiar results, and a repeat of last season's exploits.

On the other side of the ball, Keough also has high hopes for the season, looking to rebound from last year's disappointing campaign in which they failed to make the playoffs.

"The team is looking real good, but we need a little work," junior outside linebacker Chaz Arnold said. "Keenan is tough, but we're going to come out prepared. The defense looks great, we can definitely run with them."

Keough players say their defense will be solid against both the run and the pass, as the strong points of the team.

"We're working hard in at practice," sophomore captain and linebacker Zachary Brown said. "We're trying to put a solid offense together - that's always been our weakness. We're trying to put some points on the board this year."

The team is looking for strong performances from many members, including Arnold on defense, as well as seniors "Big" Rob Holman and Brian Bylycea on both the offensive and defensive lines, freshman Mike Anello and Brown.

But in whatever part of their game plan the Kangaroos may be lacking, they certainly more make up for in personality. The team's defense looks to strike fear into the hearts of coming opponents.

Whatever Keough's record may be come season's end, they will have definitely had a good time, as will fans who come out to see this exciting opening-day match-up.

The two teams will play on Sunday at 3 p.m. on Riehle Fields with Keenan acting as the home team.

Siegfried vs. Knott

Facing one another on the quad, Knott and Siegfried have ample opportunity to investigate what the other team has in store for them this Sunday in the first interhall game of the season.

"We're pretty well prepared," Siegfried defensive end and offensive guard Tom Martin said. "The whole team is coming together pretty well."

Siegfried has brought in some new coaches this season, and Martin feels that they have really aided in the betterment of the team.

Siegfried's strength, Martin claims, is its backfield.

Regarding weaknesses, Martin pointed to some graduated players, but as whole, still feels the team has improved.

"Although we lost a few defensive and offensive players last year, we are definitely a better team," Martin said. "We are confident about our returning starters and excited for our incoming freshmen."

As for key players to look for, don't bother.

"We go as a team," Kane said. "Not one person is the superstar. No one player is going to run the team. We really have a great team chemistry."

Siegfried seems well-equipped for the game on Sunday, but Knott is eager to match up against a confident opponent.

Knott should, however, be warned that Siegfried has some extra incentive to win the championship this season.

Siegfried assistant rector and assistant football coach Pete Livel, has promised the team that if it wins the championship, he will wear women's underwear for a week.

Representatives from Knott could not be reached for comment.