Members focus on Katrina fundraising

Karen Langley | Tuesday, September 6, 2005

Monday’s Council of Representatives meeting focused on coordinating the University’s reaction to Hurricane Katrina.

“This is our response to the events in the southeastern United States,” student body president Dave Baron said. “We have divided Student Union responses, but this is a coordinated effort through the University.”

Student Union secretary Aly Baumgartner will serve as the Stadium Collection Coordinator for the fundraising effort to take place at the home football game against Michigan State University on Sept. 17.

Baumgartner called for more student volunteers, as only one third of the 300 student collector spots are filled. She emphasized that volunteering during the two-minute donation collection process will not detract from any student’s game experience.

Volunteers must attend an informational meeting in the week before the game and a dress rehearsal immediately beforehand.

“Please talk to your councils and get everyone to volunteer on the stadium collection night,” Baron said.

Student body vice president Lizzi Shappell was named the Student Groups Coordinator for hurricane relief donations.

“We want to get everyone on the same page so groups are not soliciting the same people for donations,” Shappell said. “We are trying to make sure that all monetary responses go to the greater Katrina fund, so we have one University total.”

The Council continued Peter Van Loon’s approval as Judicial Council vice president of elections from last week. He was approved without opposition.

Jim Grace was also approved without opposition to his post as the College of Science non-voting representative to the Academic Council.

Grace, the current Carroll Hall senator, spent the summer on campus doing scientific research, Baron said. While here, he helped prepare the “From Football to Finals” presentation that educates freshmen about rape. He also helped create a student government alumni database.

“Jim is always the last one to leave a meeting, and I like that about him,” Baron said.

Grace cited his experience switching from engineering to biological science after his freshman year as enriching his perspective on “how the system works.” His experiences as a summer research assistant also helped, he said.

“I got a better picture of what [the system] is like, as student who was here over summer and then again normal year,” Grace said. “Once you’ve worked in a lab for 40 hours a week doing nothing but squishing mosquitoes, you have a better perspective.”