Proud of players

Notre Dame suffered a big loss to Michigan State. I think everyone in that stadium felt what I felt today - heartbreak. After an awful defeat in overtime, I felt my heart sink into the pit of my stomach with only upset and despair. It hurt. It hurt like hell. But despite my depression, I found a team that meant more than just the sport of football. Those boys gave it their all only to have it represented with a tally marked into the loss column. They have nothing to show for the great pass completions for first downs, or the defensive plays to hold the Spartans from those two yards they needed.

And yet, those boys walked out of that stadium with their heads held high. They acknowledged us with the same respect that we showed them. That's what I love about those boys that make up our Notre Dame Football team - no matter what happens they appreciate their fans and take the time to recognize them. Even when the Spartans football players flagged our field, our boys held their dignity.

My heart died with them when they lost, and my heart will live again when they win. But because they can lose with honor and pride, they are no longer boys - they are men. Those men make up my football team. Those men will always be champions.

Christine HerdmansophomoreSaint Mary's Sept. 17