SMC SOCCER: Belles blank Albion in conference match

| Monday, September 19, 2005

The Saint Mary’s soccer team continued to roll this weekend with its second-straight MIAA win in a 3-1 victory at Alma College on Saturday.

The Belles used the momentum they had gained earlier in the week during a 2-0 win over Albion College to move to 2-1 in MIAA play and 3-3 overall.

For the second straight game, freshman Lauren Hinton made a giant impact, tallying two goals in each game. Hinton has been an offensive powerhouse so far this season, scoring four out of the Belles’ nine goals on the season and consistently pressuring the opponent’s defense with an exhausting attack.

“She’s a pure striker, she’s got a nose for the goal,” senior leader Carrie Orr said of Hinton. “If she gets a breakaway one-on-one with the defender or just the keeper, she’s going to put it away. It’s good to have someone dependable [at attacker].”

The Belles’ Carolyn Logan provided the eventual game-winning goal with little time left in the first half. In a 1-1 tie, Logan scored the Belles’ second goal with under a minute to play. The Scots could not garner any offense after Logan’s winning drive, sealing the deal for the Belles.

Hinton got the Belles on the board first after ripping a shot into the net in the 33rd minute of play. The Belles forward sprinted on a fast break and beat Alma goaltender Pam McCarthy, the MIAA defensive player of the week, with a well-placed shot.

Then in the 78th minute, Hinton struck again and sealed the deal with her second of the game and the Belles’ third. The insurance goal sent the Belles home with another key MIAA win over a challenging opponent.

“Kind of like against Albion, we took control of the game,” Orr said. “We knew what we had to do. We outmatched Alma in every way.”

After a tough stretch early in the season on which the Belles struggled to put away goals, they are now lighting up the show behind a rejuvenated midfield and attack. Hinton is not the only freshman that has been a vital part of the Saint Mary’s attack, as Whitney Fron has played consistently well with a game-winning double overtime goal in the first game of the season. Hinton’s sister Ashley has been a force at midfield after kicking off several goal-producing drives.

“We put goals in the back of the net, which is something we have really needed to do,” Orr said regarding her team’s newfound offensive confidence. “Overall, we played really well.”

The Belles will play 4 p.m. on Tuesday at home against Olivet College.