The power of prayer

Letter to the Editor | Friday, September 16, 2005

I write to applaud those senators who chose to admonish Sarah Liu for writing negatively on the Notre Dame television advertisement. I was frankly quite embarrassed that our student government would authorize such a letter on its behalf, and I think that there are a few important points that Liu took for granted.

Now, I believe that Liu had good intentions, but being a non-Catholic she fails to recognize the power of prayer in the Catholic faith that so many of us hold so dear. Christ tells us in the Gospel of Luke that what we seek we shall find, and if we knock, the door will be opened. Clearly we cannot take this teaching literally, but it shows the power that prayer can have in our lives-Catholic or not. It seems a bit naive and a little ignorant of the Catholic faith for Liu to say that prospective students should “pray for something more important than that.” Personally, being accepted to Notre Dame was something very important to me, and though there are obviously more pressing crises in the world, all should recognize that God has the power, and has the desire, to answer any prayers we may have-no matter how trivial.

I hope in the future that our student government will be less quick to publicly criticize the University and more deliberate in understanding the message it is trying to convey. If our student government truly represented Notre Dame, I think we’d find that letters it endorses would not send false messages about the Catholic faith, and would not be sent by those misguided about the Catholic Church’s teachings. Rather, it would embrace the idea of the Catholic spirit which distinguishes this great University, and I believe manifests itself in the advertisement.

Christian Hoeffeljunior St. Edward’s HallSept. 15