With hard-won tickets, fans flock to Purdue

Justin Tardiff | Friday, September 30, 2005

Whether it meant taking their chances in the ticket lottery or masquerading on stage as Disney characters, students scrambled to get tickets to Saturday’s Notre Dame football game against Purdue in West Lafayette, Ind.

The Student Union Board (SUB) sponsored a ticket lottery last week and sold 346 game tickets for $43 each to students whose numbers were drawn. This is roughly the same amount of tickets Notre Dame usually receives for away games, SUB officials said. Tickets were sold at the LaFortune Box Office from Sept. 19 to Sept. 26, and all extra tickets sold quickly Tuesday morning.

Juniors Maria Hinton and Amy Lauterbach were among those with lucky lottery numbers.

“We got eight tickets through the lottery, then went early on Tuesday to the Lafun Box Office and bought two more,” Hinton said. “It’s my first away game, so it will be interesting to see how other schools have football weekends.”

Hinton, Lauterbach and eight of their friends plan to leave Saturday morning to drive two and a half hours to West Lafayette, where they will spend the afternoon tailgating before the 6:45 p.m. game.

SUB said they are sponsoring two buses that will leave campus 12 p.m. Saturday. Bus tickets were $10 each and – like the game tickets – they sold out quickly.

Farley Hall’s “What Would You Do for Purdue Tickets?” contest Monday allowed students to compete for tickets by exhibiting their creativity to impress the judges.

Junior Jamie Blanke was one of the talented students to win free tickets. He and three friends dressed as Disney characters and sang songs to fit the theme of the upcoming game. Blanke sported the garb of Ariel from the Little Mermaid, complete with a green sheet for the fin and two dining hall bowls for a seashell bra.

“The bottom line is, you have to be pretty crazy to dress up in those costumes and sing the songs we sang,” said Blanke. “The judges agreed that we were crazy. I was very pleased with the opportunity to win free tickets.”

Blanke and his friends plan to bring some of their “craziness” to West Lafayette this weekend.

“We’re really looking forward to the game,” Blanke said. “We’re going to bring that same craziness that we used to win the competition when we go to Purdue on Saturday.”

No matter how students got their tickets, many – like Lauterbach – are optimistic about the outcome of Saturday’s game.

“Both teams have dynamic offenses, but I’ll think we’ll win,” she said.