WOMEN'S INTERHALL: Valdez, Lewis hungry for win after dropping first two

Lewis has to be very glad to see Lyons on its schedule. After playing the two participants in last year's title game in its first two games, Lewis can't help but be enthusiastic for a relative break.

The Chicks have suffered two tough losses where they have seen their offense struggle to produce and turn the ball over frequently.

Against Cavanaugh, the Chicks were shut out, and quarterback Elisa Valdez's last eight passes of the game fell incomplete. Tuesday, Valdez was intercepted three times as Lewis lost a heartbreaker to Walsh.

Despite the powerful defenses they've faced, things might not be getting any easier for Lewis as the Chicks face Lyons, which features an aggressive defense with tons of speed.

"Our defense is definitely the strong point of our team," Freshman receiver Jene Emery said.

Lyons is looking for answers on Sunday about its team after a bipolar performance so far this season. After looking like championship contenders in a 20-0 thrashing of Howard, the Lions looked stagnant in a 12-0 shutout loss to Badin. The most confusing part of their loss was the complete disappearance of a seemingly high-powered offense.

Lyons is going to continue to platoon at quarterback with Kim Murphy and Lynn Truitt, and hope to get the production out of stud receiver Jenni Delaney that mysteriously disappeared versus Badin.

Lewis counters with a gritty defense that will feature a strong pass rush from Meaghan McGarr, who recorded two sacks in the team's opener.

The Chicks' offense has been their Achilles heel this year.

They've been flat, unproductive and occasionally turnover-prone. However, they have talent, and are capable of lighting up the scoreboard if strong-armed quarterback Valdez gets hot.

There is talent and experience at receiver in co-captain Kara Bailey, and Valdez needs to continue to develop a rapport with her offensive weapons to be successful.

However, the Lions' defense might not give Lewis a chance to get situated.

At their worst they can be susceptible to the big play, at their best they can cause a turnover every time out and give quarterbacks fits.

Lewis is going to have to be ready for a challenge every bit as tough as Walsh and Cavanaugh.

For Lyons, it's going to determine which of their performances so far this season was an aberration.

Badin vs. Walsh

Badin and Walsh will continue their 2005 interhall football seasons this Sunday when they face off at 1 p.m. at West Quad field.

Both Walsh and Badin come into the game with confidence after well-played victories against Lewis and Lyons, respectively.

Badin hopes to knock off the defending interhall champions with the kind of intensity that helped them triumph over Lyons 12-0 Tuesday night. After two early touchdowns thrown by freshman Katie Rose Hackney at quarterback, it was the experience and confidence of a strong defensive line that held the Lions scoreless.

Despite a solid performance, the Bullfrogs are very cognizant of the threats of a strong Walsh team.

"[We've been] working on some plays that we've designed specifically for Walsh's style of play," Badin captain Meg Charlebois said. "We can't wait to put them to good use."

However, the scrappy defensive play of the Wild Women of Walsh will certainly keep even the most prepared offense on their toes, seeing that it was three interceptions that contributed to much of the team's success in their past game. Even though their defensive play was stellar, credit must be given to quarterback Mary Sullivan, who is very effective on the ground as well as in the air, and the entirety of the Walsh offensive line for capitalizing on the opportunities given to them.

"It was a team effort," Sullivan said.

The Walsh women will need that same kind of teamwork and raw determination against Badin if they wish to continue in their winning ways. They will have to contend with a hungry Badin team that hopes to secure its second win of the year.

The Bullfrogs are eager to "get back to playing at the championship level that we reached two years ago," Charlebois said.

A game versus the defending champions who remember the feeling of winning in Notre Dame Stadium will be a gauge of the potential of both teams.