WOMEN'S INTERHALL: Wild Women run over Bullfrogs as Chicks tame Lions

The Wild Women of Walsh were in top form despite the rain and water-logged conditions Sunday as they pulled off a 20-0 victory against the Badin Bullfrogs.

In the waning moments of the game, Laurie Wasikowski ran for her second touchdown to finish the scoring.

Taking the field after thwarting Badin's first possession, Walsh got off to a quick start with quarterback Mary Sullivan finding her receiver for a 35-yard completion that gave the Wild Women a prime opportunity to get on the board early.

On fourth down, Sullivan found Wasikowski in the end zone for the first touchdown of the evening then converted the extra point to give the Wild Women an early lead.

The momentum of that first early touchdown energized the Walsh defense.

It had been Julie Campbell's interception against Lewis that secured their victory in last week's game, and she once again was a defensive stalwart, returning an interception from Badin quarterback Katie Rose Hackney for the second touchdown of the evening.

"You have to give credit to the Walsh defense," Hackney said.

Another returned interception would have earned an additional touchdown for the Wild Women had a holding penalty not been called.

Coming out of halftime, Badin attempted various options to combat Walsh's tight pass coverage. Several reverses run by captain Meg Charlebois caught the Walsh

defense off guard and resulted in significant gains for the Bullfrogs, yet Badin could not convert successfully.

Badin's defense also seemed reenergized after the half, with several players earning sacks and holding Walsh to no touchdowns until about two minutes left in the game.

Despite the loss, the Bullfrogs are anxious to prove themselves in their upcoming match against Cavanaugh, a solid Blue League competitor coming off a big victory over Howard.

"We'll have to step it up for our next game." Hackney said.

The Wild Women have nothing but confidence after such a strong performance. Next they play Lyons, who Badin recently defeated 12-0.

Lewis 28, Lyons 0

After scoring just seven points in their first two games, the Lewis offense exploded behind Elisa Valdez's four touchdown passes Sunday and whipped the Lyons Lions 28-0.

"I'm very proud of the way we played on both sides of the ball," Chicks' coach Jay Murphy said.

The wet weather led to sloppy play by both teams. Both quarterbacks struggled to grip the ball and throw with any distance, and their receivers had just as much trouble catching their passes. The first half alone saw seven turnovers between the two teams. The difference in the game was Elisa Valdez's ability to settle down, as she threw two touchdown passes and no interceptions in the second half.

Rather than playing from behind as they did in their first two games, the Chicks took the ball the length of the field on the first possession of the game. Lewis kept up the momentum when Mia De La Rosa picked off Lynn Truitt on the next possession.

De La Rosa's interception fired up the Lewis defense, which proceeded to frustrate Lyons and force them to spend the rest of the first half cycling their two equally-ineffective quarterbacks. The Lewis offense then kicked into high gear and cruised to the victory.

The result was equally revealing for Lyons. After pummeling Howard in its opener, the Lions have looked flat.

The once-potent quarterback combination of Kim Murphy and Lynn Truitt threw four total interceptions Sunday.

After catching three touchdowns in the opener, receiver Jenni Delaney didn't get any such opportunities, as the Lyons offense rarely entered Lewis territory.

"The execution just wasn't there today, but we look forward to seeing [Lewis] in the playoffs," Lyons coach John Harrington said.

Lyons quarterbacks were sacked five times; with two each coming from Chicks ends Alexandra Persely and Kate Erdle.

Lyons was held to five yards rushing all game, as all of their attempts on reverses and options were stifled.