Crowd must live up to fan status

Notre Dame is 4-1. USC is 5-0. The only game we've lost has been at home. Nobody should lose more games at home than away. So how can we solve this problem? How can 80,000 people motivate a few dozen guys enough to beat the No.1 team in the nation?

The only acceptable answer is to be as "nasty" as the players on the field. We can't expect our players to work for us when we fail to be there for them. The students challenge everybody in the stadium to take us to a new level, but we don't always get a response. Even though everyone stands up for that big play, most sit back down and become quiet spectators soon after.

We can do better. We can be louder. We can show that all fans of Notre Dame want to win as badly as our students down on the field.

I've seen a Nebraska stadium in nothing but pure Red, Arizona State in Yellow. We're Notre Dame. What kind of unity does it show when seven eighths of our stadium is wearing a variation of colors? I can't count how many fans I've seen wearing white in our stadium. White? Who are you representing?

For those of you who sit outside the student section, we're calling for your help. I lose my voice every game. My hands are raw from clapping, striving to make as much noise as I am capable of producing. We are the students, but we can't do it alone. We don't need noise when we're winning. We need it when we're down.

USC wins in the second half of every game because they destroy the spirit of the schools they're playing. We need to get louder, not tired. Obnoxious? No! We love our team, and no matter what Weis is planning for Saturday, we need to do everything humanly possible to bring the home advantage back home. Gold or Green. Who cares? We're both! So be either. Just don't be anything else. Go Irish!

Daniel PearsonseniorSorinOct. 12