-

-

Donors address need for blood

Justin Tardiff | Friday, October 28, 2005

Organizers of the three-day blood drive held at Notre Dame this week lauded the event and deemed it a success after approximately 170 students came out to donate.

For more than six hours on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, staff from the Central Blood Bank managed the drive held at Rolf’s Sports Recreation Center. RecSports, Work Life and University Health Services collaborated with the South Bend Medical Foundation to organize the on-campus drive.

RecSports Assistant Director Jennifer Philips – who helped coordinate the event – said nearly 170 people donated blood. Philips said this first blood drive of the academic year was “quite successful” in comparison to last year.

During the 2004-05 school year, RecSports hosted three blood drives and a total of 300 people registered to donate blood.

Philips said this was the first year RecSports chose to hold a blood drive over the course of three days as opposed to the previous two-day precedent.

The time slots to donate blood Tuesday were only half-filled, but by Wednesday and Thursday, all time slots were filled and RecSports could no longer accept walk-in donations, Philips said. Instead, donors were required to schedule an appointment.

Sophomore John Trippi made an appointment to give blood on Thursday afternoon. Trippi said it was his “third or fourth time” donating blood, and that the experience was “quick and painless.”

“They do a great job of making it convenient for students,” he said. “It takes such little time out of your day. For someone who is healthy like me, it is something easy to do, and I would hope that if ever I needed blood, there would be others willing to give it.”

Melissa Miara, a junior, agreed with Trippi.

“This is my third time giving blood,” she said. “I gave at an on-campus drive last year as well. I feel that it’s a simple thing to do, but a very helpful one.”

Philips said she often receives phone calls from people wondering when blood drives will be held. For the most part, staff and student response is usually quite positive, she said.

“I am very impressed by the willingness of people to donate,” Philips said. “It is something that is easy to do, but provides others with a great service. We have been hosting blood drives for the past five or six years now, and we are sure to continue to do so in the future.”