Group discusses slow Internet speed time

Director of Information Technology Keith Fowlkes attended the Saint Mary's Board of Governance meeting Monday in response to an article in The Observer Monday about the College's "sluggish" computer connections.

Fowlkes addressed the issue and explained the current situation with the school's Internet connection to Board members.

"The administration is aware of the problem," Fowlkes said. "We know what to do, we just need the money to do it."

Information Technology currently spends roughly $25,000 a year for Internet connections. Expanding the school's pipe in order to increase speed would add an extra $15,000 to $17,000 per year to this expense.

Much of the problem can be traced to services aside from academics, including music downloading - legitimate and illegal. Fowlkes urged students to "be as frugal with [the] connection as possible," until further action can be taken.

Student body vice president Susan McIlduff introduced a project in which SAC gathers the syllabi from every professor so they can be viewed when registering for classes.

Admissions commissioner Annie Davis also informed the Board that the annual "Fall Day on Campus" would take place this Sunday.

"Fall Day is one of the biggest days of the year for admissions," Davis said.

On this day, prospective high school seniors are able to come visit and see the Saint Mary's campus first-hand.

Elections commissioner Danielle Lerner said Freshman Board elections were supposed to take place Monday, but were suspended until Tuesday because there was "speculation that some first years were voting more than once and that non-first years were voting."

Finally, athletics commissioner Bridget Grall said since Saint Mary's swim coach resigned last week, school athletic director Lynn Kachmarik is acting as the new swim coach.

In Other BOG News:

Relay for Life will take place this weekend. Activities begin at 6 p.m. Friday and will go until 10 a.m. Saturday.