Members grant financial request

Members of the Sophomore Board came to the Saint Mary's Board of Governance (BOG) meeting Monday night with financial requests to purchase t-shirts for the second annual upcoming Big Sis-Little Sis event.

"We are trying to make the event even more successful than last year," sophomore Christine Darche said. "Big Sis-Little Sis is about uniting two classes and supporting Saint Mary's spirit ... It's going to be very fun."

The Sophomore Board requested and received an allowance of $700 to purchase t-shirts for the Nov. 30 event. Sophomore Board members expect 280 students to attend. The first 100 girls to arrive will receive the t-shirt.

Of the 280 participants, 200 are freshman and 80 are sophomores, numbers the Board members called a great improvement since the program is only in its second year. Jaclyn Zins, a 2004 Saint Mary's alumna, attended the meeting to recruit for Teach for America, a program in which college graduates teach in urban areas to "close the achievement gap between lower and upper income classes," Zins said.

In other BOG news:

Student body president Kellye Mitros had a special announcement.

"Congratulations to Board members Meghan Cahill, Amanda Shropshire and Annie Davis for their recent campus activity successes, including the 'Sundaes on Sunday,' the Student Bonfire, and 'Fall Day,' all of which took place in the last week," she said.

Mitros said she received positive feedback from the events.

Shropshire, the Student Diversity Board (SDB) president, told Board members that SDB would work on getting "Diversity Matters" bracelets similar to the ones spotted at Notre Dame.

Residence Hall Association commissioner Jackie Wright said the Saint Mary's tunnels will be re-opened for one night on Oct. 27 for the "Haunted Tunnels."

The event will take place from 8 to 10 p.m. Tickets will be sold in advance for $2 or can be purchased at the door for $3.