Men's Golf: Irish travel to California

California, here they come.

Notre Dame will play its fifth golf match of the season today and Tuesday when it travels to San Martin, Calif. to take part in the CordeValle Collegiate.

It is the last event the Irish will participate in this fall.

Notre Dame has had a two-week break, with its last event being the Oct. 17 Prestige at PGA West in La Quinta, Calif. The Irish finished tied for fifth in that event.

For Notre Dame - ranked No. 22 in the country according to the Golfweek/Sagarin Performance Index - this weekend will be especially important since they have not finished on top of a tournament this season.

The team has been consistent, but it has not won an event this fall, despite coming close several times.

The Irish have finished in the top six in their last four events and have a stroke index of 292.50 this fall. Mark Baldwin is leading the Irish with a 71.89, good for No. 43 in the nation according to the Golfweek/Sagarin Performance Index.

Scott Gustafson and Cole Isban are also ranked in the poll, No. 48 and No. 73, respectively.

Notre Dame has played top competition all season, which will continue in California.

UCLA is the host team of Monday and Tuesday's event. Arizona, Arkansas, Augusta State, California, UCF (Central Florida), North Carolina, Northwestern, Pepperdine, Southern California, Stanford, Texas, Virginia and Washington will also be there.

Washington, UCLA, Augusta State, Northwestern, Texas and Southern California are all ranked in the GCAA/Bridgestone top 25.

Notre Dame has already played against 10 of the 14 teams this season, posting a 7-3-1 record.

Baldwin, Gustafson, Isban, Mike King and Eddie Pickles will travel to California.

The format is laid out for Notre Dame to play two rounds today, with the first shotgun time of 8 a.m. PST. The final round will be played Tuesday morning.