Men's Interhall - Blue League: Breslin leads Alumni over archrival Dillon

It may have taken more than seven days to complete, but the second half of the Alumni-Dillon football game was played Thursday night after lightning delayed the game last week.

Alumni beat Dillon, 20-15, as Andrew Breslin threw a go-ahead, 60-yard touchdown pass to Ryan McGettigan that put the Dawgs up, 13-6.

For those anticipating the end of the game, it was worth the wait.

Last week, the action started on the first play from scrimmage when Bret Shapot nailed Dillon fullback Alex Duffy, jarring the ball loose and giving Alumni possession.

Alumni kept their fast start going when Breslin ran 20 yards on a fake punt and converted on fourth down.

Quarterback Kurger Trusdell then punched the ball in on a sneak from in close, giving Alumni a 6-0 lead following a missed extra point.

Dillon then took over for the remainder of the first half with an effective ball control offense lead by fullback Greg Belatti and running back Alex Duffy.

Cornerback Justin Figueroa intercepted an Alumni pass, and the Dillon offense did not squander the opportunity to take advantage of an Alumni mistake.

Dillon quarterback Kenny Cushing capped off the drive with a sneak that ran the score to 7-6 after the made extra point.

The second half of the game saw Alumni come out hungry with a few tricks up its sleeve.

Breslin's touchdown pass to McGettigan was actually a halfback pass, as Breslin took a pitch, broke it outside and then stopped to fire the ball downfield to the receiver.

Both defenses played well in the second half, with players such as Justin Figueroa for Dillon and Nick Chambers for Alumni stepping into bigger roles.

Alumni sealed the game with a blocked punt that was recovered in the end zone by Mike Rooney for a touchdown.

The win moved Alumni to 1-2-1 on the season.

"It was very nice to end on a win against a big rival," the captains said.

This loss sets Dillon back to 2-2, and their playoff hopes are now in jeopardy.

Zahm 8, Knott 6

Zahm and Knott played a closer game than their incoming records would have indicated, but in the end Zahm prevailed over Knott.

Knott looked impressive throughout the first half, running the ball at will with halfback Brian Segobiano.

The Knott offensive line gained an upper hand on the Zahm defense, and Segobiano took advantage of his opportunities. He slashed through the holes, including an impressive 55-yard touchdown run that put Knott up 6-0, before a failed two point conversion.

As the game wore on, the Knott offensive line seemed to wear down, whereas the Zahm defensive line grew stronger.

On their second possession of the second half, Zahm put together a long scoring drive that was set up by a 45-yard pass from quarterback Sean Wieland to running back Theo Ossei-anto, putting Zahm on the Knott 1-yard line.

Two plays later, fullback Cameron Muhlenkamp punched in the touchdown, and Zahm took the lead when Wieland threaded a pass into the end zone to convert the two point conversion and make the score, 8-6.

Knott had several opportunities to re-take the lead. One promising drive was halted when Knott quarterback Mike Peters was hit and fumbled.

The game ended when Peters stood in and took a big hit but overthrew Segobiano on a play that could have changed the outcome of the game.

Zahm improved to 4-0 after this win and capped a perfect regular season.

Knott, on the other hand, will finish their season as a disappointing 0-4 but were able to play a good team competitively.