Men’s Interhall – Gold League: Keenan and Morrissey looking to grab playoff spots

DEIRDRE KRASULA and BECKI DORNER | Thursday, October 13, 2005

Thursday’s game between Keenan and O’Neill will signal the end of the regular season for both teams.

Both the Knights and the Angry Mob come into the game with a 2-1 record looking for another win to secure their spots in the playoffs.

O’Neill comes into the game looking to stop the Keenan offense that seemed unstoppable in their win over Stanford. Knight’s quarterback Rob Coly and wide receiver Dan Zenker accounted for all three touchdowns in their previous game.

O’Neill’s captain Matt Hughey recognizes their strength.

“Our biggest challenge will be trying to stop the Keenan rushing game,” Hughey said.

The Angry Mob will need to utilize the size of their defense if they wish to shut down this seemingly unstoppable duo.

As the defending interhall champions, Keenan is hungry to continue into the post season. Despite injuries to their defense, the Knights continue to look strong.

Their offense was unstoppable in their victory over Stanford and hopes to continue to be so. The Knights will look to bring this same intensity to Thursday’s game.

“We definitely focused on team intensity,” captain Vince Lyzinski said. “If they can bring that intensity to Thursday’s game, a fierce match is sure to be seen.”

This game sits at high stakes for both the Knights and the Angry Mob. A win for either team will secure them a spot in the post season.

The Knights hope to regain last year’s title as interhall champions and prove that their early loss to Zahm was not to be taken seriously. A win for O’Neill will verify that they are, in fact, as strong as the record states.

Morrissey vs. Stanford

Everything Morrissey and Stanford have worked for this season will be on the line when they play their last game of the season today at 7 p.m. on Riehle West fields.

Stanford comes into the contest on the brink of a playoff berth, fresh off a well-played 14-6 win against Alumni this past Sunday that brought their win total to two.

Their win against Alumni was anchored by the performances of quarterback Matt McQueary and running back Kevin O’Boyle, and the team is confident coming into the game.

The Stanford defense was also solid. Led by Dave Constanzo’s two interceptions, they held off Alumni despite a touchdown late in the fourth.

Following a heart-breaking loss to Dillon on a quarterback sneak in the last minute of play, the Manorites of Morrissey have a lot of positives to bring to the game as well.

Quarterback Mike Spencer had a solid game and rose to the occasion numerous times, including a 15-yard touchdown run with six minutes to play to give Morrissey the lead at the time.

With a 2-1 record, playoff hopes for Morrissey are still alive as well.

With their entire seasons on the line for both of these teams, it will be a hard-hitting game.