MEN’S TENNIS: Tournament will test Langenkamp

Kate Gales | Thursday, October 6, 2005

After taking top honors at the ITA National Summer Championships, Eric Langen-kamp is off to Tulsa, Okla., today to compete in the Polo Ralph Lauren All-American Championships.

Langenkamp received a wild-card entry to the main draw with his win at the ITA tournament over the summer.

The tournament is the first leg of the collegiate grand slam.

Langenkamp went 2-1 in the Tom Fallon Invitational held at Notre Dame the weekend of Sept. 23 to 25. He is ranked No. 89 in the nation.

“Eric’s hitting a bigger ball,” Irish coach Bobby Bayliss said. “He’s less afraid to step up and go for his shots.”

Langenkamp is also teamed with Ryan Keckley on a talented doubles team that knocked off two Top-25 teams at the Tom Fallon Invitational.

Bayliss said Langenkamp has developed a great deal as a player during his time at Notre Dame.

“One of the things Eric has always had going for him is speed and great defensive skills,” Bayliss said. “When you play defense as well as he does, it’s hard to give that up. When you become a more offensive player you’re taking more chances, but you’ll be able to reap the rewards of what you’ve created a lot more.”

According to Bayliss, Langenkamp has been working on developing his offensive skills for over a year. The coach also commented on Langenkamp’s aggressiveness.

“He’s playing up in the court, taking time from his opponent,” Bayliss said. “If he continues to do this, he really can have a great tournament in Tulsa.

“It’s a beautiful facility and they’ve done a great job of promoting college tennis,” Bayliss said.

Tulsa is the site of the 2003 NCAA Championships.

The annual tournament is the largest fall event in collegiate tennis.

The other big event is the National Indoor Tournament, which has a main draw of 32 players.

“We’ve had many players in the All-Americas,” Bayliss said.

Out of 120 players who were invited to the event, five were Irish.

Bayliss does not send players who are not in the main draw due to scheduling issues.