-

-

ND WOMEN’S SOCCER: Irish earn fifth and sixth consecutive shutouts over Villanova and Georgetown

Bobby Griffin | Tuesday, October 25, 2005

On a Sunday afternoon mix of sun, clouds, wind, rain – and even hail – the only consistency was Notre Dame’s ability to score goals.

Coming off a 4-0 Big East division-clinching win against Villanova on Friday, the Irish dominated Georgetown 5-1 Sunday.

Notre Dame scored four second-half goals in each game.

With the victories, the Irish extended their Big East home winning streak to 65 games.

The two wins moved the Irish to 16-2 on the season, 10-1 in the Big East. The Irish will be the top seed in this week’s conference tournament.

“That’s not the ultimate goal for us, to win the Big East championship,” Irish coach Randy Waldrum said. “Ours is to go back and repeat as national champions.”

Within a span of one minute Sunday against Georgetown, the Irish scored three times with goals coming from Brittany Bock, Katie Thorlakson and Amanda Cinalli.

Kerri Hanks extended her season goal total to 20 after scoring on a free kick Sunday, and added an assist Friday night against the Wildcats.

On Friday night against Villanova, Notre Dame was held scoreless for the first half.

The team made up for it by netting four goals in 32 minutes to hand the Wildcats their fourth loss of the season. The Notre Dame shutout was its sixth consecutive opponent.

“I think the last three weekends, we really have been playing really well,” Waldrum said. “And then to come in today and finish it out, I like where we are right now.”

Notre Dame dominated in shots on goal, out shooting Villanova 37-2. The Irish also had nine corner kicks.

Jill Krivacek – who had been out with an ankle injury for the last month – scored the first Notre Dame goal at 57:16 when she took control of a loose ball and beat goaltender Jillian Loyden for her second goal of the season.

At 73:46, Brittany Bock scored off a corner kick from Katie Thorlakson when she headed the ball into the net. It was Bock’s seventh goal of the season, and first of two during the weekend.

The Irish would score twice more in the 81st and 90th minute, on goals from Candace Chapman and Maggie Manning.

Sunday afternoon was more of the same for the Irish, as they started off slowly missing several key scoring opportunities, but were able to put it away in the second half.

“We had the game under control, and then you miss some chances,” Waldrum said. “I thought we could have been up at half by three.”

The one goal of the first half came from Hanks, who capitalized on a free kick.

Hanks sent the ball past the Georgetown wall to take a 1-0 lead at 27:10.

After a Cinalli goal at 51:29 made it a two-goal game, Georgetown responded at 62:03. There was some confusion in front of the Irish goal, and Alexandra Hardy was able to beat goaltender Lauren Karas, who was out of position.

“I think it was a little bit of a wake up,” Waldrum said.

Moments later, Notre Dame responded, taking over the game with their three-goal stretch between 65:55 and 66:46.

Bock kicked it off when she dove at a cross from Candace Chapman and headed it into the net. Thorlakson followed with her 14th goal of’ the season, and Annie Schefter capped it off.

“We hate getting scored on especially in games like that when we shouldn’t be getting scored on,” Thorlakson said. “[We just wanted to] take it to them, put it away.”

Notre Dame will now enter postseason play and will take on the winner of Georgetown and Syracuse on Sunday, Oct. 30.

“We haven’t won a Big East since I’ve been here, so we’re really focused and want to win this year,” Thorlakson.