Saint Mary’s art gallery features two new exhibits

Mary Conroy | Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Saint Mary’s Moreau Art Gallery is featuring two new art exhibits this fall in correlation with “Art 290: Installation, Video and Web,” a course taught by professors Krista Hoefle and Julie Tourtillotte.

The first art exhibit, located in the Hammes Gallery, features a combination of original art pieces created by Saint Mary’s students enrolled in Art 290.

“In the course, students are exploring the themes of space, time and the body through site specific installation, video used to document installation, video as an aspect of an installation, video projection and finally a virtual installation on the internet,” Hoefle said. “The exhibition is entitled “IVW Lab” because we are utilizing the space not just as a presentation space of an already completed video project, but as an art lab of sorts, where students can experiment with installation and video projection within a gallery setting.”

The second exhibit, located in the Little Theatre in Sister Rosaire Galleries serves as an extension of Art 290. The exhibit was created by Survival Design, an installation team made up of husband and wife duo Jason Brown and Elizabeth Scofield. The artists, from the University of Tennessee, use lightweight tensile architecture and nomadic sculptural forms to create interventionist art projects.

“Aesthetic Survival Devices” is the title given to their objects, which have been influenced by industrial, safety and recreational equipment.

“Survival Design works in urban and rural places to temporarily alter the landscape in order to question human relationships with the natural world.” Hoefle said.

These exhibits were elected to be show at the Moreau Art Gallery through the gallery board at Saint Mary’s. This board is comprised of members of the administration, faculty, Department of Art, staff from the off-campus community and student body.

An exhibition must be proposed, presented and approved by the board, Hoefle said. An approval is based on the artwork’s relevance to the mission of the Moreau Art Gallery, and on its quality.

Members of the gallery board were excited about the new exhibits.

“Professor Julie Tourtillotte and I thought that the “IVW Lab” exhibition would be an important introduction for the campus community to the three-dimensional applications of digital technologies,” Hoefle said.