USC ticket demand prompts sales

Justin Tardiff | Thursday, October 13, 2005

Notre Dame will become the circus of green, blue and gold that is typical of home football games this weekend.

Though the game is the most anticipated matchup of the season, however, not all students will attend to see the Irish take on the Trojans Saturday.

The Notre Dame ticket office opened at 7 a.m. on Oct. 4 for all students interested in exchanging their student ticket for a general admission ticket. Students could approach the ticket counter and receive a line positioning ticket with a time to return and trade in their student ticket for a general admission ticket.

“This system of line positioning was imposed to avoid long lines and absence from classes,” said Josh Berlo, director of ticket operations.

The number of general admissions tickets normally available for exchange is 350, Berlo said. That number was increased to 750 for both the USC and BYU games because they are scheduled over fall break.

Every ticket for Saturday’s game has been sold, Berlo said.

“There were some students outside the ticket counter much earlier than 7 a.m.,” Berlo said.

Berlo believes the football team’s record – 4-1 this season – does not have an impact on the number of students seeking to exchange tickets.

“This season is no different from others,” he said. “Notre Dame always has a high expectancy for attendance.”

Reasons for selling tickets ranged from conflicting travel plans to attractive financial offers.

Junior Dan Gruett, a Stanford resident, said he gave his ticket to a friend because his sister is coming to town and he would rather her watch history in the making than go himself.

Junior Julie Cunningham simply did not realize the success the team would have this season and planned to depart for home before the game on Saturday.

Selling prices – some as high as $2,000 on eBay – also have compelled students to exchange and sell their tickets.

An off-campus junior, who requested anonymity because she feared the repercussions of selling her ticket, said she sold her USC ticket at the last minute.

“I have been offered $200 for my USC ticket, although it is in my booklet and I don’t know how the guy who bought it from me is going to use it … but I need money and am not going to say no to $200,” she said.

She said she also has been offered $200 for her BYU ticket but is planning on attending the game. She is considering selling tickets to future games, however.

“I am looking to sell my Tennessee ticket, and if we win this weekend I am sure to get a lot more than $200,” she said.