Women’s Interhall Gold League: Welsh Family ties PW; McGlinn shuts out BP; Pangborn beats PE

| Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Welsh Family quarterback Melissa Sands ran in the one-point extra point attempt to tie the score at 13 late in the second half to give both Pasqueilla West (2-1-1) and Welsh Family (2-1-1) one point in a game that could have major playoff implications.

The extra point came after a handoff from Sands to Whirlwind running back Maggie Forester, who ran the ball for the second Welsh Family touchdown of the game.

Pasquerilla West took the lead in the second half after quarterback Cara Davies ran the ball into the end zone for six points, leaving the score at 13-6 after the failed one-point attempt.

Davies also led the Weasels to an early lead in the game, scoring on a pass from Davies to wide receiver Maureen Springs in the first half and converting the one point attempt.

As time was running out in the first half, Kelly Bushelle caught a pass from Sands to put Welsh Family on the board, but a failed two-point attempt left the Whirlwinds down 7-6 at halftime.

“We played really well on defense,” said Welsh Family freshman Kristy Szczepaniec. “Our offense just could not seem to make those turnovers count for scores.”

The one point from the tie gives Pasquerilla West a one-point lead in fourth place over rival Pasquerilla East, enough to put them in the playoffs.

McGlinn 7, Breen-Phillips 0

It was a battle of the defenses Sunday on West Quad field, as Gold League-leader McGlinn attempted to hold off challengers Breen-Phillips.

A few penalties on Breen-Phillips helped the Shamrocks of McGlinn advance the ball early into Babes’ territory, and quarterback Becky Brown would later convert to give the Shamrocks a lead that their defense would hold for the rest of the game.

Although the McGlinn defense recorded their fourth shutout of the year, the defense of Breen-Phillips also looked especially strong after the lapse on the first drive.

“We made some key adjustments on defense,” said Babes’ captain Shannon Swanigan. “The defense stepped up, but we just couldn’t capitalize on our opportunities.”

McGlinn’s Sally Head had a punt return for a touchdown that was called back on a flag-guarding call.

Becky Brown also had a strong performance, running well and keeping the Breen-Phillips offense on their toes.

Looking into the week ahead, McGlinn has an almost-certain playoff berth with their second-to-last game against Pasquerilla West Tuesday.

The loss put the Babes nearly out of playoff contention.

“Our record unfortunately doesn’t reflect the huge improvements we’ve made,” Swanigan said.

Pangborn 13, Pasquerilla East 0

The Pangborn Phoxes, judging from their performance against Pasquerilla East Sunday afternoon at Stepan Field, are holding firm to the path that leads right into the stadium. On the first drive of the game, Phoxes halfback Trish Conneely took the ball into the endzone, putting the Phoxes up 7-0.

Later in the first half, a pass from quarterback Katie Mooney found its way into the hands of junior receiver Brynn Johnson to put Pangborn up 13-0.

Despite the season-long consistency, captain and linebacker Katie Murray still found room for improvement.

“We needed more intensity in the second half,” Murray said. “That’s two games in a row that we’ve played a lackluster second half. That can’t happen in the playoffs.”

The Phoxes and their 4-1 record are assured of a playoff berth. Last year, the Phoxes lost a heartbreaker to Cavanaugh in the semifinal round, just one touchdown away from a berth in the Finals.

“My freshman year, we lost every game by the mercy rule,” she said. “Then sophomore year we won our first game … and then last year against Cavanaugh, we were so close.”