Care package help

Many of you have probably read about the Notre Dame Accounting Association's drive to send care packages to our deployed troops. I am a Notre Dame alumnus, current graduate student and Army veteran who benefited from the kindness and generosity of students, faculty members and staff while deployed to the desert during Operation Iraqi Freedom.

I cannot express just how thrilled and humbled I was to receive a box full of cards, goodies, Observers, Christmas music and "The Shirt." That amazing show of support gave a tremendous lift to my spirits. This, more than anything during my six years at Notre Dame, showed me what it means to be part of the Notre Dame family.

This year, Professor Margot O'Brien and the NDAA are sending over 100 care packages to deployed members of the Notre Dame family. Each one will contain news from the Bend, Christmas cards and goodies. The NDAA is soliciting donations of food, Christmas music, notes of support and money for postage (this week in the Mendoza atrium, from 10a.m. - 2 p.m.).

Between football, finals and holidays, it's easy to forget just how big an impact we can have. Please support our deployed servicemembers for whom the holidays mean just another workday in the desert, a time away from home and their loved ones.

Christopher Welch.graduate student.class of 2002Nov. 14