Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Group passes dance restrictions

Members of the Campus Life Council pounded through a list of to-dos at Monday's meeting, resulting in the approval of a resolution meant to clamp down on themes, dress codes and advertising for dorm dances.

The resolution requires that all dance themes be respectful to the entire community and that the hall rector and Student Activities Office approve posters and T-shirts for dances.

It also suggests that students be surveyed before their dorm's dance to see what themes would be desirable for the specific time period.

The proposal was the brainchild of the Social Concerns task force, which has been investigating the nature of hall dances for the last several months.

Recognizing that some past dances have "represented poor judgment and a lack of consideration and respect by the dance organizers," the group decided to make provisions to the current manual, Social Concerns task force chair Jacques Nguyen said.

"With hall dances already underway, our task force thought we should look into this and see if there were things that could cause us problems and the main thing was themes," Nguyen said. "The resolution is hopefully pretty straightforward. The dance manual never talks about appropriateness for dance themes."

The resolution was passed unanimously. It will be sent to Vice President of Student Affairs Father Mark Poorman next, although student body president Dave Baron said that Assistant Director of Student Activities Peggy Hnatusko will also receive a copy since she will be responsible for making the adjustment to the dance manual.

In other CLC news:

u Hall Presidents Council co-chair Dan Zenker told members the empty seats in the student section of the pep rally were the result of last-minute changes made by Joyce Center officials and members of the Student Activities Office.

"Student Activities, along with Joyce Center officials, met last week to implement a new ticketing system for fans," he said. "They also created a 6,000-seat limit for student fans. I would have said don't reserve that many seats for students, because all the seats were not filled."

Zenker said he doubts the re-maining two pep rallies will attract 6,000 student fans.

"I'm going to meet with Student Activities to iron these things out," Zenker said. "There was a miscommunication last week. They're trying to do different things to get fans into the Joyce Center in the most effective way."