Malloy inducted into South Bend Hall of Fame

University President Emeritus Father Edward "Monk" Malloy was formally inducted into the South Bend Hall of Fame Tuesday, proving that his influence as president of Notre Dame stretched far beyond the immediate campus.

The 19th annual Hall of Fame Banquet was held at the Century Center in downtown South Bend. Five community leaders were inducted into the Hall of Fame, each representing different aspects of public service. The South Bend Alumni Association hosted the banquet.

The purpose of the Hall of Fame is to recognize individuals whose accomplishments have left a lasting impact on the city. Malloy was honored for his commitment to the South Bend community and for the unifying force he has provided between South Bend and Notre Dame.

"We could go on for an hour about all the things Monk as given to Notre Dame and to all of us," said Robert Nagle, a South Bend Alumni Association member and the banquet's emcee. "He has promoted community service and worked to combat substance abuse through membership in the Boys and Girls Club of America, the National Advisory Council on Alcohol and Drug Abuse and the Governor's Committee for a Drug-Free Indiana."

Malloy accepted the award with a bowed head and a smile.

"When I was a student at Notre Dame, I remember taking the bus out to a local restaurant or enjoying a movie at one of the local theaters, and I was absolutely surprised to discover the regions out of the bounds of Notre Dame," he said. "I never did figure out why there was such a prohibition about exploring the richness and variety of this community."

Malloy said he had made community relations a top priority as he had climbed the ranks of the University.

"South Bend has enjoyed a tradition of honest government of people who want the best for South Bend," Malloy said. "This has always been a community where leaders pull together to make a case for attracting new business and finding ways to transform old neighborhoods.

"There is always a positive spirit, and thus we were able to work to make a difference."

Though the relationship between Notre Dame students and the community has been strained in recent months due to the passage of an ordinance meant to curb student partying, Malloy firmly praised the progress the community and the University have made.

"The Center for Social Concerns motivates people to get involved especially the bright and talented undergraduates at Notre Dame," Malloy said. "There is a positive momentum that has been established that can give us confidence as we move forward and do great things in this community."

Jim Kapsa, acting chair of the Hall of Fame banquet, informed Malloy about the Hall of Fame honor earlier this year.

"He was taken aback and very honored," Kapsa said. "Malloy has done great things for this community."

Malloy assured the audience he will continue to work on improving the South Bend community.

"There is no problem this community can't solve, no issues that we can't build a coalition around, no way in which people that pour into this community can't discover what we're all about," Malloy said. "Looking back on my Hoosier-dom, I cherish the time I have spent in this community. I look forward to continuing my commitment in the years ahead."