New 'Shirt' president says teamwork is key

Following discussions of "The Shirt" project's goals and methods at recent Council of Representatives (COR) meetings, the new "The Shirt" president, Rich Fox, was introduced at Monday's meeting.

Fox described his intentions to create a "Shirt" committee to deal with the project's design, marketing and unveiling ceremony.

"My past experiences have shown that everything works well when you have a strong team and committee around you," Fox said.

The proposed committee would include Fox, two design coordinators, two marketing coordinators, two unveiling coordinators and a Web designer.

The design coordinators would deal with issues relating to "The Shirt" itself, while the marketing coordinators would promote "The Shirt" both to students and the rest of the Notre Dame community, Fox said. The unveiling coordinators would arrange programming for the April unveiling of "The Shirt" at the Bookstore.

"The committee will provide a sounding board to bounce ideas off and allow me to focus on higher-level, more important issues that the president should be focusing on," Fox said.

Fox was introduced by the 2005 president of "The Shirt" Project, Katie Fox (no relation).

"He has lots of enthusiasm for the project and great new ideas," Katie Fox said. "I am confident Rich will continue the success of the project."

Katie Fox explained the two-part process of selecting "The Shirt" project's new president. "Applications were available online and advertised in The Observer," she said. "Rich was one of the first-round finalists selected ... We had a final round of interviews and then asked Rich if he would accept the position, given approval."

The interviewing panel was made up of Katie Fox, Director of Student Activities Brian Coughlin, "The Shirt" project advisor Ryan Willerton, Financial Management Board president Michael Marshall and COR representative James Leito.

Rich Fox was approved without opposition.