Police say football arrests up

Citing a late kickoff time Saturday, police said they wrote a high number of alcohol-related citations and made several arrests before and during the Tennessee football game.

Patrolling the parking lots prior to the start of the game, Notre Dame Security/Police (NDSP), South Bend Police, St. Joseph County Police and Indiana State Excise Police made five custodial arrests and issued 26 citations, including one to a juvenile, NDSP Assistant Director Phil Johnson said Monday.

"Of those 26 [citations], some were for minors consuming alcohol, minors in possession of alcohol, false identification and inducing a minor to consume alcohol," Johnson said.

The five arrests were for public intoxication, and one of those individuals was also found to have a controlled substance in his possession, Johnson said. He declined to specify how many of those cited or arrested in the parking lots were students.

The numbers are comparable to those during the USC game on Oct. 15, when police made six arrests and wrote 23 citations.

"These are typical of a game that begins at 2:30 p.m. where people have a higher blood-alcohol content," Johnson said.

Tailgates begin at roughly the same time for each home game, Johnson said, and a late kickoff results in additional alcohol consumption.

Although there were no reported incidents of marshmallow throwing, 23 people - 12 students and 11 non-students - were ejected from the stadium for reasons related to alcohol. One of those students was transported to St. Joseph Hospital, Johnson said.

There were also two arrests made in the stadium, neither of them students, Johnson said. He said one was for public intoxication and the other was for public indecency.

"[The person arrested for public indecency] was urinating on some golf carts outside the public safety office," Johnson said.

A University employee reported being pushed as she left LaFortune during the game at approximately 3:30 p.m., Johnson said.

"The person attempted to take her purse," Johnson said. "The subject was described as a male, white, white T-shirt, black pants, long dark hair and stubbly beard. And this person was not hurt and nothing was taken from her."

The man fled and was not apprehended, Johnson said.