Monday, May 13, 2024

PW triumphs over PE, 26-6

Midway through the second half against Pasquerilla East, Pasquerilla West cornerback Anne Fournie intercepted Pyro quarterback Leslie Follmer's pass and sprinted down the field for a touchdown to put the Purple Weasels up 20-6. It was the first of two interceptions thrown by Follmer that translated into Purple Weasel touchdowns as Pasquerilla West easily dispatched with Pasquerilla East Sunday 26-6.

The offensive stars of the game were Purple Weasels quarterback Cara Davies and wide receiver Maureen Spring. The tandem connected for three touchdown passes on the day, including one in the first half to give the Purple Weasels a 7-0 lead. The second and third scores came in the second half to ensure the win.

Fournie's interception came after the Pyros had shown some signs of life and were moving the ball well, but the pick - along with fellow defensive back Brigid Bulfin's interception later in the game - put the final nail in the Pasquerilla East coffin.

On the ensuing Pyro possession after Fournie interception and touchdown, the dominant Purple Weasel defense stayed strong with a sack by Julie Putnam and Bulfin's interception.

The Pyros did have one great play to look back on in this game: a 70-yard touchdown pass from Follmer to wide receiver Megan Conway.

Despite the loss, Pyros head coach Patrick Rigney was not overly disappointed.

"I'm still very proud of this team," he said. "After having no wins last year, we showed signs of life and were able to win a game. I am ecstatic about the turnout and the way our squad performed."

Welsh Family 14, McGlinn 0

McGlinn had not allowed any offensive points all season entering Sunday's game against Welsh Family. But the tables turned quickly and the Shamrocks were shutout by an inspired Whirlwind squad.

A long touchdown pass from Melissa Sands to Jenni Gargola sealed the victory late in the final period and a spot in this year's playoffs for Welsh Family.

They entered the contest with a 2-2-1 record and, with the victory, will now move on to postseason play.

The McGlinn defense was unable to hold down two big plays, proving to be the difference in the contest.

Shamrock captain Bridget Meacham was displeased with the loss but was quick to recognize the strong play of the Whirlwinds.

"We couldn't come up with the scores when we drove inside the 15 and things just weren't clicking our way," Meacham said. "The streak had to end sometime.

"Welsh Fam just came out with a lot more intensity than we did."