Students begin planning for spring break travels

Laura Baumgartner | Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The holiday season has arrived and brought with it a cold, snowy South Bend winter – leaving many students dreaming of sun, sand, surf and 80-degree temperatures as they make spring break vacation plans.

Nearly 100 students have already booked vacations through Anthony Travel, said Kayleen Carr, leisure manager for the agency.

“Typically we see about 600 students book through us per year,” Carr said.

Carr said cruises and destinations in Mexico are usually the most popular vacation choices among students.

“Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas have also been very popular,” she said.

Following this trend, Joey Maher, a junior at Notre Dame, is planning a trip to Acapulco with several of his friends.

“We were deciding between Jamaica, Acapulco and one other place,” he said. “But because of the hurricanes, we decided it’s going to be Acapulco 2005, baby.”

Maher said 15 to 50 people will be flying to Acapulco for spring break.

“We have a package that includes everything,” Maher said. “We’re trying to get as many people as possible to go because the more people we have, the cheaper it will be.”

Cost is an issue many students are concerned with when planning their travels. Some students said they are waiting to finalize their plans because they are searching for a deal on airlines and hotels on popular Internet travel sites.

“I might be going to Montana with friends to go skiing at Big Sky,” said Kat Kindt, a Saint Mary’s junior. “It depends on what kind of price I can find for flights. It’s really just all about the money.”

Not all students are planning the stereotypical trip to paradise, including those who will already be studying abroad.

“My roommate and I will be in Rome next semester,” said Emily Addis, a Saint Mary’s sophomore. “Our spring break will be two weeks of nonstop travel throughout as much of Europe as we can possibly see.”

Other students are using their break to get away from school and visit family or relatives.

“I’ll probably just go to Arizona to visit my grandma,” Saint Mary’s junior Emily Griesemer said. “My friend and I are planning on going on a summer abroad program, so I have to do something inexpensive, like go to Arizona.